free hit counter code Billionaire plans $20,000,000 submersible trip to Titanic to prove it’s safe – Freeht.buzz

Billionaire plans $20,000,000 submersible trip to Titanic to prove it’s safe

OceanGate submersible diving underwater in the sea.
The plans come almost a year after the fatal Titan implosion (Picture: Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

A billionaire businessman has revealed plans to take a $20,000,000 submarine to the Titanic shipwreck in a bid to prove it is safe.

Larry Connor, an American billionaire, has vowed to take a new submarine to the Titanic – months after the OceanGate submersible tragedy that killed five people.

He wants to prove that the expedition can be done safely despite the Titan disaster in June last year.

Connor will go on the risky adventure with Triton Submarine co-founder Patrick Lahey to show that ocean exploration can be done safely.

Axiom Space Ax-1 Pilot Larry Connor Axiom Space
Larry Connor is a real estate investor and a private astronaut certified by NASA (Picture: Chris Gunn/Axiom Space)

The pair will travel more than 12,400 feet (3,779 meters) to the Titanic shipwreck in the North Atlantic.

Connor told the Wall Street Journal: ‘I want to show people worldwide that while the ocean is extremely powerful, it can be wonderful and enjoyable and really kind of life-changing if you go about it the right way.’

Now Lahey has designed a $20,000,000 vessel called Triton 4000/2 Abyssal Explorer for the risky voyage.

The real estate investor said Lahey has thought about designing Triton for more than a decade, but building it was not possible until now due to a lack of ‘materials and technology.’

Larry Connor and Patrick Lahey in the TRITON 36000/2; Dayton, Ohio Real estate and technology entrepreneur Larry Connor successfully completed three dives in just five days to the deepest ocean depths in the Mariana Trench this month, less than 10 months before he?s scheduled to pilot the first private mission to the International Space Station.
Larry Connor and Patrick Lahey previously completed three dives in just five days to the deepest depths of the ocean in the Mariana Trench using the Triton 36000/2 vessel (Picture: Triton Submarines)
The new nine-person Triton submarines 660/9 AVA redefines subsea activities, allowing guests to play poker with actual sharks, enjoy immersive underwater dining, exchange vows with marine life as witnesses, and dive to depths of 200 meters (660 feet) to explore true wonders!This submarine is currently onboard the Scenic Eclipse II
Triton Submarines 660/9 AVA allows guests to play poker surrounded by sharks or enjoy underwater dining (Picture: Triton Submarines)

‘You couldn’t have built this sub five years ago,’ he said according to the New York Post.

The fresh expedition plans come almost a year after the Titan submersible imploded while underwater on June 18 on its way to the Titanic which lies at about 12,500 feet off the coast of Canada.

All five passengers, including the CEO of OceanGate Expeditions Stockton Rush, were killed.

The exact cause of the incident remains a mystery, but the submarine operated by OceanGate suffered a ‘catastrophic implosion’ shortly after losing contact with its support vessel.

OceanGate CEO and co-founder Stockton Rush speaks during a presentation on findings after an undersea exploration of the SS Andrea Doria wreckage in the Atlantic Ocean near Nantucket, on June 13, 2016, in Boston. The missing submersible Titan imploded near the wreckage of the Titanic, killing all five people, Shahzada Dawood, Suleman Dawood, Paul-Henry Nargeolet, Stockton Rush, and Hamish Harding, the U.S. Coast Guard announced, Thursday, June 22, 2023.
OceanGate CEO and co-founder Stockton Rush pictured in June 2016 (Picture: Bill Sikes/AP)
This handout image taken during the historical 1986 dive, courtesy of WHOI (Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution) and released February 15, 2023 shows the Titanic bow. A submersible vessel used to take tourists to see the wreckage of the Titanic in the North Atlantic has gone missing, triggering a search-and-rescue operation, the US Coast Guard said on June 19, 2023. It was not immediately known how many people are on the vessel, operated by a company called OceanGate Expeditions.
The previous expedition to the Titanic shipwreck (pictured) ended in tragedy last year (Picture: Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution/AFP)

Connor called Lahey some days after the tragedy and urged him to build a better one.

‘[He said], you know, what we need to do is build a sub that can dive to [Titanic-level depths] repeatedly and safely and demonstrate to the world that you guys can do that, and that Titan was a contraption,’ he told the Wall Street Journal.

Critics, including Lahey, accused OceanGate of questionable safety standards after the incident, with some calling Rush’s approach ‘quite predatory,’ the New York Post reports.

Former OceanGate employee David Lochridge had previously said that Rush would get himself and others killed on the submersible.

This undated image provided by OceanGate Expeditions in June 2021 shows the company's Titan submersible. The wrecks of the Titanic and the Titan sit on the ocean floor, separated by 1,600 feet (490 meters) and 111 years of history. How they came together unfolded over an intense week that raised temporary hopes and left lingering questions.
The doomed Titan submersible operated by OceanGate Expeditions (Picture: AP)

To view this video please enable JavaScript, and consider upgrading to a web
browser that
supports HTML5
video

Up Next

The engineer said in an email: ‘I don’t want to be seen as a Tattle tale but I’m so worried he kills himself and others in the quest to boost his ego.

‘I would consider myself pretty ballsy when it comes to doing things that are dangerous, but that sub is an accident waiting to happen.’

He said nothing could have made him ‘to dive the thing.’

Others killed on board Titan were British billionaire explorer Hamish Harding, businessman Shahzada Dawood and his 19-year-old son Suleman and French Titanic expert Paul-Henri Nargeolet.

Debris was later found in the ocean, including presumed human remains, the US Coast Guard said a week after the implosion.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

About admin